I'm in the infant stages of two new creative projects. One was borne out of a friend's father passing away last year. Sounds depressing, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be incredible. The other I came up with as a result of that cheesy exercise my therapist had me do last week. In building the Wordpress site for it, I happened upon the wallsONwords site, and found a comment I hadn't noticed before. Look at this stunning photograph. It's for sale. I hope someone has bought it.
This week I worked on changing unhealthy thought patterns. That's the kind of stuff cognitive behavioral therapists are good at. Something about restating what is an irrational thought into a rational one or some such. The following was a wholly painful exercise, which I only agreed to do once he admitted that it was "totally cheesy." I feel like we bonded in that moment.
So I had to write five things about myself that I like. I came up with four, and then he added the fifth when it was taking too long.
I grew up in a horrible religion that deprives kids of basic things like happiness Jehovah's Witness, so it wasn't until I was 19 when I started receiving birthday presents. As an adult, I have always felt really lucky to get gifts. (Maybe everyone feels like that though?) Anyway, I've received some really awesome things, and I thought I would list them a handful of them here, in no particular order.
- For my 30th birthday, all of my friends took my yoga class. I kinda sucked it, but it was a really good time.
- Two years ago I received a KitchenAid mixer. I have made a f*ckload of ice cream because of that mixer.
- Buenos Aires, Marfa, the UK, Saba, Brazil, snowboarding in Durango...
- One of my best friends, Joslyn, is a woman of unbelievable talent. She has made me the best body products. I LOVE handmade gifts.
- One year, I assisted my first yoga workshop. These days that would be torture, but at the time I was over the moon.
So that's just a partial list. But this year, well this year my friend Kate has really outdone herself with the possibilities. This tweet killed it.
Here is a partial list of the professionals in my life. The year is not over yet, so there's still time for me to add a life coach or something to the mix. * Acupuncturist (4, total: 1 each in LA, NYC, Austin, and Seattle)
* Therapist (Cognitive Behavioral)
* Aesthetician (2, total: 1 each in LA, Hoboken)
* Allopathic doctor
Also, I read four and a half books on vacation! This means I am literate.